St. Patrick’s Day has become a popular holiday here in San Diego
and around the country. However, many of these celebrations include alcohol,
which can lead to a dangerous situation on our roadways.
As San Diego accident lawyers, we are concerned. Over St. Patrick’s
Day from 2009 to 2013, 276 lives were lost in
drunk-driving accidents. In 2014 alone, 29 people (28 percent of all crash fatalities) were killed
in drunk-driving crashes over the St. Patrick’s Day holiday period.
With this in mind, below are several safety tips for those attending a
St. Patrick’s Day celebration:
- Designate your sober driver before the party begins.
- Avoid drinking too much alcohol too fast. Pace yourself. Eat plenty of
food, take breaks, and alternate with non-alcoholic drinks.
- If you don’t have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride
home; call a cab, friend, or family member to come and get you; or if
possible stay where you are for the night and don’t drive until
you are sober.
- Find out if your community has a sober ride program and take advantage of it.
- Never let friends drive drunk. Arrange a safe way for them to get home.
- Always buckle up. It’s still your best defense against drunk drivers.
Pedestrians are also at risk, particularly in high-traffic areas. If you
are walking home from a restaurant or bar, keep an eye out for vehicles.
If you or someone you care about has suffered serious injury in a drunk-driving
accident, don’t hesitate to contact
a San Diego injury lawyer at the Law Offices of Robert Vaage for a free
consultation. After a serious crash, we can advocate on your behalf to
help hold the negligent parties accountable for their actions and seek
the compensation you deserve.