According to a recent alert issued by the Consumer Product Safety Commission,
high-powered magnets continue to be a safety risk to children. As
San Diego product liability attorneys, we are concerned that children are swallowing these magnets, often with
Although the risk scenarios differ by age group, the danger is the same.
When two or more magnets are swallowed, they can attract one another internally,
resulting in serious injuries, such as small holes in the stomach and
intestines, intestinal blockage, blood poisoning, and even death.
As detailed by the
CPSC, reports of incidents involving these high-powered ball-bearing magnets
have increased since 2009. Specifically, CPSC received one incident report
in 2009, seven in 2010, and 14 through October 2011.
Of the reported incidents, 17 involved magnet ingestion and 11 required
surgical removal of the magnets. When a magnet has to be removed surgically,
it often requires the repair of the child’s damaged stomach and
High-powered magnets and magnet components that are of a size that can
be swallowed are prohibited in toys for children younger than age 14.
The reported incidents involve magnets that are marketed as desk toys
and stress relievers for adults who use the magnets to create patterns
and build shapes. Often, they are sold in sets of 200 or more magnets
in stationery, office supply and gift stores, and also on the Internet.
CPSC has received reports of toddlers finding loose pieces of magnets or
magnets left within reach. It can be extremely difficult for a parent
to tell if any of the tiny magnets are missing from a set. In some of
the reported incidents, toddlers have accessed loose magnets left on a
table, refrigerator, sofa, or the floor.
With tweens and teenagers, how the product is being used has resulted in
magnets being unintentionally inhaled and swallowed. To mimic body piercings,
the older children are placing two or more magnets on opposite sides of
their ear lobes, tongue and nose.