Elder abuse is a growing problem throughout California. As
San Diego elder abuse attorneys, we know that many cases of nursing home abuse go unreported as seniors
are either too afraid to report the abuse for fear of retaliation or embarrassment
or simply do not know that they are being abused.
Therefore, it is important for friends and family to be able to spot abuse
and take action. Below are the most common signs of mental abuse, physical
abuse, or neglect.
- Confusion or disorientation
- Derogatory, humiliating comments by staff
- Hesitation to talk openly
- Scratches, cuts, or burns
- Unexplained vaginal or anal bleeding, or torn, stained and bloody under clothing
- Physical restraint not used properly
- Broken bones
- Sudden loss of weight
- Poor hygiene
- Signs of feces on resident or in bathroom and smell of urine
- Malnutrition and/or dehydration
- Lack of assistance with eating and drinking
- Missing money or property
- Sudden changes in personal and financial affairs
- Staffing problems
How We Can Help
If your loved one has unexplained injuries, bed sores, or any of the above
warning signs, and you are suspicious of elder abuse or nursing home negligence,
you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit including a wrongful
death law suit if the elder abuse has led to death.
If you suspect someone is a victim of
elder abuse, please try to intervene. First‚ take steps to get more involved
in his or her care. Talk to the caregiver or advisor, assess the situation,
and do your best to determine the nature and extent of the problem.