Bring An Equalizer to the Fight. Choose a Firm That Was Created to Advocate for Victims.

Cell Phone-Related Crashes on the Rise

While distracted driving comes in many forms, cell phone use is one of the most common and the most dangerous. It not only takes your eyes away from the road, but also disrupts your focus on driving safely.

At any given daylight moment across America, approximately 660,000 drivers are using cell phones or manipulating electronic devices while driving, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Given the number of drivers using cell phones, we are not surprised that the latest statistics show that the number of cell phone-related crashes continue to rise.

According to the National Safety Council, cell phone-related crashes increased for the third year in a row — texting-related crashes crept up from 5 percent to 6 percent while accidents involving drivers talking on cell phones held steady at 21 percent. Overall, cell phone use is now linked with approximately 27 percent of all motor vehicle accidents in the United States.

"The incredible connectivity enabled by technology has resulted in a very dangerous environment behind the wheel," said Deborah A.P. Hersman, president and CEO of the National Safety Council. "While the public understands the risks associated with distracted driving, the data shows the behavior continues - we need better education, laws and enforcement to make our roads safer for everyone."

Given the risks, we encourage our readers to turn your cell phone off when you turn your ignition on. While we all use our smartphones to stay connected with families, friends, and workplaces, one phone call or text is simply not worth it. As we have previously highlighted on this blog, using hands-free device to talk or text does not eliminate the risks. In fact, some studies have found that many in-vehicle systems are even more distracting that using a traditional cell phone.

If you or someone you love has been seriously injured in a San Diego motor vehicle accident, don’t hesitate to contact a San Diego personal injury attorney at the Law Offices of Robert Vaage for a free consultation.