Victim of Medical Fraud?Choose a Firm That Was Created to Advocate for Victims.
In This Article
How Can a San Diego Medical Fraud Lawyer Help You?
Our team of experienced and dedicated attorneys is committed to navigating the complex legal landscape surrounding healthcare fraud and conspiracy. We strive to ensure that justice prevails in the face of deception and misconduct within the medical industry.
Healthcare professionals swear an oath to do no harm. Patients need to rely on doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and other medical personnel to act in their best interests. When those individuals change the care they dispense based on their own rankings or financial interests, patients can be severely harmed.
Medical fraud and conspiracy cases demand a deep understanding of healthcare regulations, intricate financial transactions, and the ability to uncover digital webs of deception. At Vaage Law, we have cultivated the knowledge, experience, and expert consultants required to represent our clients with tenacity and skill in these matters.
With a proven track record of successfully litigating medical fraud and conspiracy cases, we are ready to provide you with the legal support you need to protect your rights and seek fair compensation. Contact Vaage Law in San Diego at (619) 338-0505 to schedule your free consultation — help us uphold the integrity of the healthcare system by holding wrongdoers accountable.
Medical fraud & conspiracy is a growing area of law, especially as more and more physicians work with medical device and pharmaceutical manufacturers to test and promote their products. You expect your physician or surgeon to make medical recommendations based on your best interests. Where things go awry is when the financial and research interests of the doctor affect decision-making and the patient is kept in the dark.
A victim of Medical Fraud and Product Liability shares his story about his failed neck surgery case.
What Is Medical Fraud Conspiracy? (5 Most Common Types)
Medical fraud and medical fraud conspiracy are illegal and can have serious consequences, including criminal charges, fines, imprisonment, and loss of medical licenses. These activities not only harm the healthcare system but can also lead to increased healthcare costs, compromised patient care, and a loss of trust in the medical profession.
- Medical fraud or healthcare fraud refers to a wide range of dishonest and illegal activities involving the healthcare system, where individuals or organizations intentionally deceive or misrepresent information for financial gain. This can encompass various fraudulent activities, such as:
- False diagnoses: Providing false or unnecessary diagnoses to bill for unnecessary medical services or procedures.
- Billing fraud: Overbilling or charging for services or treatments that were not provided, also known as “upcoding.”
- Phantom billing: Engaging in “phantom billing” involves charging for services or procedures that were never performed or were medically unnecessary.
- Kickbacks: Offering or receiving illegal payments in exchange for patient referrals or the purchase of specific medical products or services.
- Unbundling: Billing separately for procedures that should be bundled together, leading to inflated costs.
- Medical fraud conspiracy involves two or more individuals or entities working together to commit medical fraud. This can include doctors, nurses, medical billing personnel, healthcare facilities, and even patients collaborating to defraud the healthcare system. The conspirators work together to execute fraudulent schemes, such as submitting false claims, creating fake patient records, or engaging in kickback schemes.
Healthcare authorities and law enforcement agencies actively investigate and prosecute individuals and organizations involved in medical fraud and conspiracy to protect the integrity of the healthcare system. If you are victimized by such practices, you can also file a civil lawsuit for your personal injuries, losses, and emotional suffering.
What Kind of Settlement Can You Secure With a San Diego Medical Conspiracy Lawyer?
In a medical malpractice case involving conspiracy or fraud, plaintiffs may seek various types of damages, both economic and non-economic, to compensate for the harm they’ve suffered.
Here are some common types of damages that can be pursued in such lawsuits:
- Medical expenses: Reimbursement for any medical costs incurred as a direct result of the conspiracy, such as treatments, surgeries, medications, or therapies.
- Lost income: Compensation for lost wages or earning capacity resulting from the conspiracy’s impact on your ability to work.
- Pain and suffering: Damages may be awarded to compensate the plaintiff for physical pain, emotional distress, and mental suffering caused by the conspiracy.
In cases involving particularly appalling conduct, the court may also award punitive damages to punish the wrongdoers and deter similar behavior in the future. These damages are intended to serve as a deterrent and are often awarded in addition to the above-listed damages.
The specific circumstances of the case, the extent of the harm, and the conduct of the defendants will all play a significant role in determining the types and amounts of damages that may be awarded. Another factor is the skill your attorney brings to the table based on proven successful case results.
In extreme cases where medical fraud conspiracy causes or contributes to someone’s death, family members of the deceased can file a wrongful death lawsuit. The damages in such cases address economic losses like the loss of financial support, and emotional harms like the profound grief of losing someone before their time.
What Does a San Diego Healthcare Fraud Lawyer Do for Your Case?
It’s important to choose a healthcare fraud lawyer with experience in this field, as healthcare fraud cases can be complex, involving intricate healthcare regulations, billing practices, and medical documentation.
Here’s what a healthcare fraud lawyer can do for your case:
- Investigation: Your attorney will conduct a thorough investigation into the circumstances, including reviewing medical records, financial documents, and any other relevant evidence. We will work to uncover the facts and identify all potentially liable parties to maximize your chances of a robust compensation package.
- Negotiation: In some cases, your attorney may negotiate with insurance companies or opposing counsel on your behalf to reach a settlement before a trial is necessary. This could result in faster closure that minimizes the time you spend waiting for resolution.
- Litigation: If necessary, your healthcare fraud lawyer will represent you in court, presenting your case before a judge and jury. We will advocate on your behalf, present evidence, and hire expert witnesses to build a strong case.
Having a knowledgeable and skilled attorney by your side can make a significant difference in the outcome of your case.
Proven Experience in San Diego and CaliforniaVaage Law case results for medical fraud and malpractice include:
- Over $25 million for a child who suffered bowel perforation due to forced feedings
- Nearly $9 million for a delay in diagnosis of a gastric complication due to physician inexperience
- Roughly $2.5 million for defective nerve monitoring equipment that led to a permanent spinal injury during surgery
Vaage Law has one of the few, if not the first, California verdicts against a medical device manufacturer for conspiring with a surgeon to defraud a patient. A San Diego jury awarded over $3 million against a medical device company for aiding and abetting in perpetrating a fraud against our client.
Contact an Experienced Medical Fraud and Conspiracy Lawyer
As a dedicated medical fraud and conspiracy lawyer, Robert Vaage provides unwavering support and legal representation to those who have been affected by the intricate web of deception within the healthcare industry. We understand that navigating the complexities of healthcare fraud and conspiracy cases can be challenging, and we are here to stand by your side.
Why Hire Vaage Law
Our firm has years of experience in litigating cases that involve healthcare regulations, financial intricacies, and strict state laws in California. This includes a $2 million result for a patient prescribed dangerous medicinal products against her explicit wishes for personal financial gain. We are fully equipped to guide you through these matters, and offer legal counsel, strategic casework, and compassionate support every step of the way.
Your journey for justice begins here, and we are ready to be your trusted guides and champions. Contact our San Diego offices at (619) 338-0505 today to discuss your case, and seek the justice and accountability you deserve. Together, we can shine a light on the truth and make a difference in the healthcare industry.
Proudly Representing San Diego Residents
Medical Conspiracy and Fraud FAQs
Who can file a medical fraud conspiracy lawsuit?
What laws govern medical fraud lawsuits?
What are the potential penalties for individuals or entities involved in medical conspiracy lawsuits?
Penalties can include fines, imprisonment, exclusion from federal healthcare programs, and civil monetary penalties. The severity of penalties depends on the extent of the conspiracy and the harm caused. At Vaage Law, we file civil lawsuits based on your harms and losses, which prioritizes your needs first above other matters.
How are medical conspiracy cases investigated?
Investigations often involve a combination of legal, regulatory, and law enforcement efforts. These may include audits, interviews, data analysis, and cooperation from whistleblowers. Vaage Law has medical and financial experts we can consult on your behalf to identify and preserve evidence for your case. Contact Vaage Law at (619) 338-0505 — when you choose our firm, our resources become your resources in the pursuit of justice.
RECOGNIZED BY THE BEST
$25,300,000 - Force Feeds Cause Bowel Perforation