San Diego Wrongful Death AttorneyChoose a Firm That Was Created to Advocate for Victims.
Table of Contents
Why Do You Need a San Diego Wrongful Death Lawyer?
The loss of a loved one can be the hardest and most painful thing a family may experience. A wrongful death lawsuit can bring closure and important funds for a better future.
When a person’s life is lost due to a preventable accident, negligence, or recklessness, the grief of surviving family members and friends is immeasurable. The grieving process is often complicated by feelings of outrage and helplessness. Pursuing a wrongful death lawsuit can help empower your family.
We at Vaage Law can help you and your family obtain financial compensation for your loss by filing a wrongful death claim. Not only can a lawsuit compensate you financially, it can also help prompt changes in safety measures, protocol, design, or training to prevent a similar tragedy from happening to another family.
If you need representation for a wrongful death suit, contact Vaage Law at (619) 338-0505 to speak with an experienced wrongful death attorney today. Our compassionate team will help you understand your rights and explore your legal options.
Hear from our clients Terry and Pamela, who lost their daughter due to hospital negligence.
What Kind of Settlement Can You Secure With a San Diego Wrongful Death Lawsuit?
The specific types of settlements that can be secured in a wrongful death lawsuit can vary depending on the circumstances of the case and the applicable laws in the jurisdiction.
However, settlements in wrongful death cases can include:
- Financial compensation: This may include financial losses incurred as a result of the death, such as medical expenses, funeral, and burial costs. This also covers the loss of financial support that the deceased person would have provided to their family.
- Emotional losses: These damages are less tangible but can still be awarded for emotional and psychological suffering. They might include compensation for the loss of companionship, guidance, and emotional support that the deceased provided to their family.
- Punitive damages: In some cases, punitive damages may be awarded if the responsible party’s actions were particularly egregious or showed a willful disregard for the safety of others. These damages are intended to punish the wrongdoer and deter similar conduct in the future.
It’s important to explore all avenues of compensation in your case. By maximizing your results, we help our clients take the strongest possible steps toward a better future.
The funds from a wrongful death suit could help you send a child to college, afford a home of your own, or ensure a stable retirement. By providing a flourishing future for your family, a wrongful death settlement can help honor the memory of your lost loved one. Contact Vaage Law at (619) 338-0505 to discuss what’s possible.
What Kinds of Accidents and Injuries Does a San Diego Wrongful Death Attorney Handle?
A wrongful death occurs when a person loses their life due to the negligence or misconduct of another person, company, or entity.
Wrongful death cases arise from a variety of circumstances, including but not limited to:
- Automobile, motorcycle, bicycle, pedestrian, or truck collisions
- Medical malpractice and birth injuries
- Dangerous or defective products
- Premises liability deaths related to slip-and-fall injuries, or workplace and construction site accidents
- Catastrophic injuries leading to death boating injuries or airplane crashes
- Children’s injuries and nursing home or elder abuse deaths
A qualified wrongful death lawyer from Vaage Law can help investigate the injury or action which led to your loved one’s death. In doing so, we identify which individuals or companies are responsible and hold them fully accountable.
What Does a San Diego Wrongful Death Law Firm Do for Your Case? (3 Key Services)
Our San Diego wrongful death law firm plays a critical role in helping families navigate the legal process and seek justice. Legal services for wrongful death cases include:
- Investigation: We thoroughly investigate the circumstances surrounding the death of your loved one. This may include gathering evidence, interviewing witnesses, consulting with experts, and examining medical records or other relevant documents.
- Negotiation: Our wrongful death law firm next assesses the financial and emotional impact of the deceased person’s loss. This includes factors such as medical expenses, funeral costs, lost income, and the emotional suffering endured by family members. We present these calculations and negotiate with any insurance companies or legal representatives involved to reach a fair settlement.
- Litigation: If a settlement cannot be reached through negotiation, a trial may be necessary to achieve a just outcome. Though this is rare, our law firm is fully prepared to represent you in court. We will represent you before a judge or jury, call witnesses, and make legal arguments on your behalf.
Throughout this process, the team at Vaage Law will factor in any deadlines associated with your case. We will keep you informed of any changes or progress made, and consult you for the important decisions that may shape your future.
We understand that dealing with the loss of a loved one and a legal battle at the same time can be emotionally challenging. One of the most valuable benefits of hiring a proven legal team is minimizing the emotional energy needed on your part to achieve justice.
A wrongful death attorney handles the work, so you can grieve in dignity and peace.
Contact an Experienced San Diego Wrongful Death Attorney
The death of a family member is a painful, difficult experience. Wrongful deaths make the tragedy even worse because they could have been prevented. In pursuing a lawsuit for wrongful death damages, you seek justice for yourself and your family. You may also help save future lives by holding negligent parties accountable.
Why Hire Vaage Law
Robert Vaage and his office colleagues and staff have almost 150 years of combined legal experience. We have a proven history of securing substantial case results in San Diego and throughout California. We remain a small firm so that we can deliver personalized representation — everyone in the office will know who you are and why we’re fighting for you.
You can reach Vaage Law by calling (619) 338-0505, or by filling out our online contact form to schedule a free, confidential consultation. Our wrongful death lawyers will work to recover the expenses related to your loss, replace lost wages, and secure the financial future of you and your family.
Let us help you through this difficult time with our compassionate advocacy and support.
San Diego Wrongful Death Lawsuit FAQs
Who can file a wrongful death claim?
Vaage Law is located in California, where according to the California Code of Civil Procedure, the following individuals are permitted to file a wrongful death claim:
- Surviving children
- Minor stepchildren who are financially dependent and held out as children
- A surviving spouse or a registered domestic partner
If there is no surviving spouse, domestic partner, or children, then other individuals may bring an action. Because a wrongful death action must be brought by all of the surviving heirs in one lawsuit, it is important to identify all potential plaintiffs.
Is wrongful death hard to prove?
To demonstrate a wrongful death has occurred, there are four elements your attorney needs to prove:
- A duty of care was owed (for example, to obey rules or provide safe accommodations)
- There was a breach of that duty (whether accidental or intentional)
- The breach caused or contributed to a death
- That death did calculable damage to the surviving family members and heirs
Proving the elements of a wrongful death case is your lawyer’s job, not yours. At Vaage Law, we have the knowledge and skills to identify and document the evidence required.
What should I do if I suspect the wrongful death of a loved one?
The first step you should take if you suspect your loved one’s passing was due to negligence is to contact an experienced attorney. A lawyer can help you with direct advice, and take action to gather important evidence before it degrades or disappears.
General advice that may help your case includes:
- Getting copies of any documentary paperwork (traffic collision report or incident reports, medical files, autopsy report, and a copy of the death certificate)
- Taking pictures of the scene of any accident or unsafe conditions that may have caused the fatal injuries
- Keeping all receipts related to funeral costs, lost wages, or medical bills (including ambulance transportation or medications)
Contact Vaage Law to see what additional information you may need based on the specific facts related to the circumstances of the death.
How long do I have to file for wrongful death?
The time limit for filing wrongful death suits varies in California.
- If the wrongful death was caused by a public entity, including a hospital district (e.g., Palomar Health), you have six months from the date of death to file a claim with the entity.
- Wrongful death lawsuits caused by medical malpractice must be filed within one year of death, and non-medical malpractice cases must be filed within two years.
- If the negligence was caused by a federal employee acting within the scope of their employment, the Federal Tort Claims Act requires that a claim be filed within two years of death.
The statute of limitations (aka deadline laws) are complicated in California. Contact our wrongful death lawyers online or by calling (619) 338-0505 right away so you do not miss your window for justice.
RECOGNIZED BY THE BEST
$25,300,000 - Force Feeds Cause Bowel Perforation